Mexican Ceviche de Camaron (Shrimp Ceviche) Tostadas.
This will become your Fave Summer dish! Kids LOVE this even if they aren't big seafood lovers they will like the tangy flavor of the lime, and its a great source of protein and its low fat!
- 2 lbs medium-size RAW shrimp (Frozen is fine, you can get shell on or off. Shell off will save you lots of time)
- 8-10 limes
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic
- Salt, to taste
- 1 medium red onion
- 3 small tomatoes
- 1 large cucumber
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado
- Corn tostada shells or corn tortilla chips
- Defrost and wash shrimp. Chop it in small pieces (For a med size shrimp cut into about 4 pieces). Place into a deep bowl. Squeeze limes into bowl (Avoid getting any seeds in it. Make sure lime juice covers all of the shrimp). Keep 1 lime for garnish.
- Add finely minced garlic and salt. Cover and place in the fridge for 2-3 hours. You know shrimp is done once it turns pink. All of it will not be pink but most of it will. The acid in the lime cooks it all the way through. *NOTE you can make this part and leave it in your fridge over night. In the mean time dice tomatoes, cucmber, and cilantro, set aside.
- Once the shrimp has cooked, strain it but save the lime juice. Place shrimp back into bowl add in tomatoes, cilantro, and cucumber.
- Take about ¾ cup of lime juice to blender, add in half onion. Blend enough to mince onion. Add juice back to shrimp, Mix well.
- Add about 2 large spoonfuls to each tostada shell and avocado slices to garnish.
- If you like it spicey you can add diced jalapenos or use Tapatio hot sauce. Tapatio gives the shrimp great flavor. DO NOT USED already cooked shrimp. Since the shrimp is cooked if you add all the lime to it it will over cook ur shrimp and make it rubbery. If you decide to used cooked shrimp add in all the veggies and lime all at once at this point you will only need about 2-3 limes depending on how much juice you get.
- NOTE: While the lemon juice in this dish cures the shrimp, it is still a raw seafood product. Pregnant women and young children should take the same precautions with this dish as they would with sushi.