Cook with your Kids Pico de Gallo
If you tell your kids you're making "rooster beak," they might squeal in horror (or delight, depending on your kid!). Either way, they'll be scooping out spoonfuls of this chunky salsa.
- 3 large tomatoes (or 5 Roma tomatoes)
- 1-3 fresh serrano or jalapeño peppers (to taste)
- 1 small white onion
- 10-12 sprigs cilantro
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp salt
- Have your kid wash the tomatoes, peppers and cilantro.
- Finely chop the onion, peppers (use kitchen gloves to protect your skin!) and tomatoes into ¼ inch pieces. Have your kid use a slotted spoon to scoop the chopped pieces into a medium-sized bowl.
- Finely chop the cilantro and add it to the bowl.
- Cut the lime in half and have your kid squeeze it over the veggies. Add the salt and have your kid mix everything up.
- Let the salsa rest for an hour before serving.