Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal
Sure, instant oatmeal can contain as much sugar as your kids need for a week, but it tastes so good! Try making your own oatmeal at home—with a fraction of the sweet stuff—and just see if your little sugar fiends can tell the diff.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup pecans/walnut pieces
- 1 cup "old-fashioned" oats
- ¼ cup raisins
- Brown sugar to taste
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk, water, salt, cinnamon, vanilla and nut pieces to a low boil.
- Add the oats, stir and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, adding the raisins during the last minute of cooking time.
- Once the oats are soft and the oatmeal is your desired consistency, remove from heat and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with brown sugar.
- Watch that pan! As oatmeal heats and thickens, it can burn on the bottom or boil over way too easily!