Chicken and Aborio Rice With Veggies
Flexible feast all in one pot!
- 6 chicken thighs
- 4 cups chicken stock or bouillon
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1.5 cups white wine
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 bunch dark leafy greens (kale or other)
- Oregano, thyme, (about 1 tbs each)
- 1/2 head garlic, peeled and smashed
- Salt and pepper
- Heat up a cast iron dutch oven to medium-high and brown chicken thighs in olive oil, spices, garlic, onion and carrots.
- Add greens and wine, cook until wine starts to reduce.
- Add stock (or water with bouillon) and bring to a boil.
- Add rice, cover and lower to a simmer.
- Stir occasionally. It's done when rice is cooked and stock is mostly soaked up (about 45 minutes).
- I threw this together the other night when our gas was turned off. I only had a single hot plate to cook on. You can substitute anything for anything here, it's basically a risotto recipe without the constant adding/stirring of hot stock! If you don't have a cast iron dutch oven I suggest getting one, they are cheap and versatile. Lodge makes great ones.