The lentils in this sneaky spaghetti are high in folate and iron. (And your kids will never have to know it's good for them.)
- 1 (16-oz) box spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup frozen chopped onions
- 1 tsp bottled minced garlic
- 2 cups favorite prepared pasta sauce
- 2 (15-oz) cans lentils, rinsed and drained
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta sauce and lentils; reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve over spaghetti and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Serve with a bagged Italian blend of mixed greens tossed with a good-quality bottled Caesar salad dressing and plenty of croutons.