Tangy Taco Salad
We know--you ditched the beans after grade school. Well, now's the perfect time to shimmy up to them again. They have tang this time and a little kick for your little kicker!
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ⅔ cup light Catalina dressing
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 quarts (8 cups) Romaine lettuce, rinsed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup low-fat Mexican-blend shredded cheese
- ¼⅓ bag tortilla chips, crushed
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Add onion, kidney beans, Catalina dressing, water and chili powder.
- Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine lettuce, green onions, cheese and crushed chips in a large salad bowl.
- Add warm beef mixture to lettuce and toss thoroughly.
- Serve immediately.
- This salad does not save well after it's tossed, so mix only what you plan on eating. To save, store lettuce mixture separate from beef mixture. Reduce cheese for increased iron absorption.