Asian Noodle Rice Casserole
Rice and noodles might seem like carb overkill, but your kids will be thrilled with the combination of two of go-to foods.
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 1 12-ounce package thin egg noodles
- 1 32-ounce container chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 10 ½-ounce can french onion soup
- 3 cups instant rice
- 1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 8-ounce package fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter or margarine.
- Add the noodles and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about five minutes.
- Add the chicken or vegetable broth, water and french onion soup, stirring well to mix.
- Increase the heat to high and bring liquids to a boil.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stirring well to mix.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- This dish can be prepared ahead of time, covered and refrigerated for up to three days and frozen for up to three months.
- To reheat, place the noodle rice in a microwave-safe serving dish and add a little water to create steam, so it does not dry out. Place the dish in a microwave oven and cook on high for five minutes, stirring occasionally until heated through.