Chicken noodle soup gets a saucy Italian makeover. Mix in some fun-shaped pasta (stars, bow-ties, pinwheels) into a boiling broth, sprinkle some Parmesan cheese, and bam! Lunch is ready.
- 5 cups Italian meat broth or ½ large beef bouillon cube and ½ large chicken bouillon cube dissolved in 5 cups water
- 6 oz pastina (stars, alphabet pasta, or other small soup pasta shapes)
- 2 tbsp butter (optional)
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Put the broth in a 3- to 4-quart soup pot, cover, and place over high heat.
- Once the broth is boiling, add the pasta.
- When the broth comes back to a boil, lower the heat and cook, covered, until the pasta is al dente.
- Remove from the heat, mix in the butter and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, and serve at once.