Rice With Dried Fruit and Nuts
You'll love the effortless elegance of this side. Your kids will love picking out all the dried fruit.
- ½ stick butter or margarine
- 1 cup frozen chopped onion
- 1 32-ounce container chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups basmati rice
- ½ cup dried cranberries, raisins or mixed fruit bits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter or margarine.
- Add the onions and cook until tender, about five minutes.
- Add the chicken or vegetable broth, rice, dried fruit and salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add almonds, stirring well to mix.
- Cashews and pistachios offer a unique alternative for the almonds. Have fun experimenting with all different rices, fruits and nuts—this dish will never be boring.
- It freezes well for up to three months.