Whole-Wheat Cheesy Mac
This creamy homemade macaroni and cheese is not only delicious, it's full of whole grains and calcium. Bye-bye boxed stuff!
- 2 cups uncooked whole-wheat macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper (optional)
- 12 slices American cheese, cubed
- Boil macaroni in salted water according to package directions to al dente.
- While noodles are cooking, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in flour to form a paste.
- Slowly whisk in milk.
- Heat to a boil over medium heat, stirring continually.
- Once boiling, turn of heat and stir in cheese until melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain noodles and stir into cheese sauce.
- Watch milk carefully to prevent scorching.