Snack Recipes: Hush Puppies
The story goes that these delicious little treats got their name from slaves who would throw them to the dogs to get them to quiet down. We recommend a slight name change--Hush Kiddies--because there's a good chance they'll have the same effect on your family.
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup onions, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Spray a mini muffin pan lightly with cooking spray.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, milk and vegetable oil until well blended.
- Stir in onions.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir well to combine.
- Spoon mixture into mini muffin cups, filling each cup about half-way.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until lightly browned, remove from pan immediately and serve.