Chicken Stew With Mango
No, really! Mango! It'll give this regular ol' chicken stew a richness and tang you wouldn't expect (and might even get the kids to eat it!).
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 cups frozen mango chunks
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Place chicken and mango in a large pot and cover with water.
- Bring water to a boil, lower heat and let simmer for 45 minutes.
- Carefully remove whole chicken and set aside in a bowl until cool enough to handle.
- Place turnip, rutabaga, parsnips, carrots, potatoes and salt in chicken/mango broth and let simmer for 45 minutes; remove from heat.
- When chicken is cool enough to be handled, remove skin and meat from bones.
- Cut meat into bite-sized pieces and stir into vegetable mixture.
- Serve immediately or freeze for later use.
- You can remove excess fat from this recipe by refrigerating the chicken/mango broth overnight, then skimming the fat from the surface before proceeding with the recipe. Purée a small amount in blender for baby, adding water or broth to make desired consistency.