Shrimp Brown Fried Rice
Are you down with brown? (Brown rice, that is.) The "unpolished" grain has way more natural fiber and minerals than the white stuff. Toss in some shrimp, and you've got a bazillion less calories than greasy takeout.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb. frozen peeled/deveined shrimp, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups leftover brown rice, cold
- ¼ cup light soy sauce
- green onions for garnish (optional)
- Scramble the eggs in a skillet on medium heat. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet and stir-fry onion and shrimp until shrimp becomes slightly pink. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add remainder of olive oil and brown rice to skillet and stir-fry until lightly browned.
- Fold in eggs, onion/shrimp mixture and soy sauce.
- Stir-fry for 2 additional minutes.
- Garnish with green onions if desired. Serve immediately.
- Make as much as you can, then separate into portions and freeze in shallow, freezer-safe containers for future "instant meals."