What's a romantic date without saying "I love you" a dozen or so times? But, let's be honest, as sweet as those three little words are, they can start to lose their meaning when you're mumbling them through a mouthful of toothpaste or tossing them over your shoulder on the way out the door.
Keep the love alive—on your romantic dates and every other day—with these fresh ideas for saying "I love you" to the love of your life.
- Write it in sauce on a dinner plate.
- Leave a post-it note on the steering wheel.
- Scribble a note and hide it in a lunch bag or briefcase or gym bag.
- Write it in lipstick on the bathroom mirror.
- Spell it out in beans on the kitchen counter.
- Spell it in screws and nails on the garage work table.
- Make a playlist of your favorite love songs.
- Write a list of your favorite shared memories.
- Spell it in flower petals across the bed.
- Sing the song you first dance together to at your wedding.
- Write a love poem.
- Write a love letter and send it by mail.
- Write it in sidewalk chalk on your driveway.
- Make your love a handmade gift.
- Cook a favorite meal.
- Text it.
- Instant message it.
- Tweet it.
- Say it in your Facebook status update.
- Stare into each other's eyes. Then see what happens next.
There's nothing like billowing curtains surrounding your bed to add a touch of romance. You can hire someone to install them, or DIY by hanging sheer fabric from the ceiling. Or if you're super handy, break out the drill and install ceiling brackets, long curtain rods and sensual curtains.
Get Nice Bedding
Invest in luxurious, high thread count sheets, a silky duvet cover and some oversized pillow shams. Skip the silk or satin sheets. Silk has to be dry cleaned (bummer) and satin can be uncomfortable to sleep in. A nice, high-quality cotton or sateen is perfect!
Buy a Throw
If you're really looking to spice up the bedroom, add a little animalistic touch and pick up a faux fur throw to drape over your bed (or your body!). Rrrrawwwrrr!
Make Your Bed
At the risk of sounding like your mom, we gotta say a well-made bed is much more tempting to crawl into than one left with twisted, crumpled sheets all day.
Have Sex in It
OK, this isn't really a decorating tip, but the best way to spice up your bedroom and turn your bed into a love nest is to have sex in it. Often.