Healthy Relationships: Make Time for Each Other at Night
Try these tips for spending time together at home in the evening:
1. Set aside kid-free space: Once the kids are in bed, turn off the TV, the laptop, and your Blackberry. Switch your cell phone to vibrate and clear out the diapers, bottles, and plastic toys.
2. Set the mood:Dim the lights low and turn on some mood-enhancing music.
3. Make a special dinner: If you're not a Top Chef, no worries. You can always order in or bring in take-out. Set the table and maybe even light some candles. Pretend you're at a restaurant— and you're the only customers!
4. Talk to each other: But try not to talk about the kids or things that you need to take care of around the house. A healthy relationship relies on an adult bond—based on shared experiences and hopes and dreams for the future.
5. Play a game: Sure, you play games with the kids all the time. But how often do you two play together? Take out that deck or cards—or a classic board game like Monopoly or Mastermind.
6. Get romantic: Healthy relationships are based on intimacy so get cozy! Even if you're not in the mood for sex, you can make out on the couch or just snuggle in front of an old movie.
Who says you need to break the bank at a fancy restaurant to have a nice night with your hubby? Sometimes, there's no place like home!