Relationship Tips: How to Make Decisions as a Couple
Relationship Advice: The key to making decisions as a couple is to have a game plan. Here are some relationship tips for making decisions as partners:
- Set a specific goal: It's helpful to be specific about what you want to accomplish. Don't tackle too broad an issue in one session. It's only bound to overwhelm you!
- Make sure you're both primed for decision-making: Set aside a time when you're both had enough rest and enough to eat. It's not going to be easy to work together if one of you is feeling crabby from the get-go!
- Be prepared for disagreements: Even happy couples don't always agree. Just treat each other with respect&emdash;even if you know you're right!
- Don't panic. There is no need to start raising relationship questions just because you can't agree on where to go for dinner!
- Do research so you can base your discussion on facts rather than just emotions or hunches.
- Stick to the subject at hand: Don't get distracted by chit-chat about the kids or what happened at work today. Stay on track and remain focused.
- Keep in mind that you're making a decision as a team. It's not about what's best for you or for him. It's about what's best for both of you—and your family. You may have to put your wishes aside for the sake of the team.
- Celebrate the success of making a decision together. Do something special as a couple to reward a job well done!