If your child is not with an organized group of volunteers such as the Scouts or a school group that you are familiar with, but wants to strike out on her own, meet with the event organizers or visit the agency with your child before she starts to volunteer. Meet the volunteer coordinator in charge and ask the following questions:
- What exactly will my daughter be doing and what will be expected of her?
- Who will she be working with?
- Is there adequate supervision?
- Do you screen your adult volunteers?
- Are your adult volunteers adequately trained, especially on safety measures?
- Is the volunteer site inspected regularly?