BPA, a chemical in many plastics, has gotten quite a bad rap recently. Studies have shown links between BPA and cancer, diabetes and heart disease. But plastic is everywhere—especially when it comes to kid stuff. Fortunately, not all plastic products contain BPA. There are tons of environmentally friendly plastics out there! And if you want give BPA the big heave-ho from your life, check out these cool kid products that are completely BPA-free.
- Baby Bottles and Sippy Cups: Baby bottle manufacturers are hip to the whole BPA debate and have elected to take the stuff out of all baby bottles sold in the US. So these days, any old bottle you buy should be good to go! Unfortch, not the same is true for all plastic cups. Many kid-friendly plastic cups may still have BPA in them so make sure to read labels!
- Toys: Many kid's toys are made of plastic so it's easy to freak out every time your kid jams Dora in her mouth (which is all the time), but breathe easy because kid's toy companies have been on the BPA-free bandwagon for awhile now. Most of the toys your kids want (and have) are already BPA-free. When shopping for new toys, read labels carefully and do your research—there are lots of BPA-free options out there. Check out brands like Lamaze and Skip Hop that sell tons of BPA-free toys.
- Teethers: To rest assured that your kid is chewing on something environmentally friendly, invest in BPA-free teething rings or pick up a set of Nuby hard and soft teethers.
- Dishes Want to avoid serving your kid Mac & Cheese a la BPA? Try serving food in environmentally friendly bamboo bowls, a BPA-free plastic plate or metal camping dishes. If your kid loves dipping, try Skip Hop's palette plate. It's got cute, small compartments for serving up dips and sauces and no BPA.
- Tupperware: Have cupboards full of plastic food containers? What mama doesn't?! If you wanna go BPA-free, you might consider tossing them, and opt for BPA-free containers like the environmentally friendly Funtainers. Or store leftovers in glass Tupperware!
- Water Bottles: If you really want to be environmentallyl friendly, don't buy bottled water! Carry your own H2O in reusable bottles like the eco-friendly ones from Klean Kanteen Foogo.
- Pacifiers: Most pacifiers are made from BPA-free latex or silicone these days, but read the labels to be sure. Need some new ones? Avent has a line of BPA-Free Pacis and Zoe Pacis are all BPA-free.