Going green? Check out these environmentally friendly, non-toxic, chemical-free, renewable, sustainable toys made from hardwoods from the Amazon rainforest! (Ok, maybe that last bit's a stretch ...)
- Jack Rabbit Creations' Organic Knits:
We all wish we could sit down and knit adorable baby gifts in our spare time, but who are we kidding? Jack Rabbit Creations' beautiful knitted stuffed animals come from India, where they are knit from beautiful organic cotton yarns. Maybe nobody has to know you bought it. (Who are we kidding? They'll totally know!)
- Clementine All-Natural Modeling Dough:
Kids'll love the way this all-natural modeling dough smells as much as they'll love making things with it: Yellow smells like lemon, green smells like lime and red smells like strawberry. The dough's nontoxic, cleans up easily, and isn't sticky or gooey like other natural clays. What's not to love?
- Calafant's Mobile Farmer's Market:
A cardboard farmers-market truck? Sounds a little kooky, but kids love coloring it in with the included markers and using their imaginations. Plus, it's a chance to talk about healthy foods and about the environment. When you're done with it, toss it in the recycle bin!
MakeDo (as in "make do") lets kids make amazing structures and sculptures out of any old cardboard box or other things cluttering up the house. The kit comes with a cardboard saw, hinges, and several kinds of fasteners that make it easy to fasten cardboard wings on a plane or ears on a mouse. They are easy to work and eco-friendly to boot!
- Princess Milly Organic Zubels:
Princess Milly is one of a whole slew of sweet, new organic cotton-knit, environmentally friendly characters. She wears a knitted cotton crown with tiny pink knitted jewels. We would wear them, too, if they made them big enough!
- The Picnic Pals: Apple Park is a company that takes "green" very seriously. Their beautiful, environmentally friendly stuffed animals are an adorable group of animal friends who live together in a San Francisco park. Each has a special skill. (For example, Bunny's big ears make him a great listener.) These critters can come to our picnic anytime!
- Tegu Tints Magnetic Blocks: Tegu Blocks—smooth, wooden blocks with magnets inside—are made to build gravity-defying structures because they stick together in almost any shape. And here's another physics-defying feature: There's no getting the magnets out ... even with a hammer! (And we know a few amateur engineers who'll try!)
- Mi Yim Organic Dr. Seuss: Mi Yim's organic stuffed animals and sweet lovies for babies feature Dr. Seuss characters like Horton and the Cat in the Hat. Perfect for kids to gnaw on while you try to work your way through the tongue twisters in One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. They're super cute, too!
- Green Toys Recycling Truck: This toy's doubly environmentally friendly: It's made from all green materials (like recycled milk jugsâbet you've seen a lot of those!) and teaches kids the importance of recycle-reuse-renew. We love the detailed three sorting bins on the truck and the movable recycling bin.
- Eco Tic Tac Toe: Somehow the oldest game in the book is way cooler when played with eco-friendly stones on a smooth wood playing surface.
- Crayon Rocks: These pebble-shaped crayons might just inspire Zen-like artistic creations from your kids. The bonus? No points to break off (and they're made with eco-friendly materials like Kosher soy wax, bees wax and natural minerals).