Organic, Homemade Skin Care: Tips From Model Emme
As a young woman, I remember my mom making her own beauty remedies from whatever she found in the fridge, from organic avocados to oatmeal. I soon found out that common food items held a lot of miraculous, magical beauty elixirs. Think about it, Mother Nature was here long before the Avon Lady (not that I'm not knocking her!). Here's a list of my favorite foods to that'll make your skin gorgeous:
- Avocados: Make a great, soothing face mask!
- Oatmeal: Exfoliates dry, sensitive skin and removes dead old cells.
- Oils: Moisturize dry skin.
- Organic Strawberries: Brighten dull skin.
- Plain Yogurt: Cools sunburn and soothes skin.
- Leathery skin. My friend, Natasha's grandmother swears by Crisco as a body moisturizer. Natasha herself keeps a bottle of imported Tuscan olive oil under the bathroom sink. I like to scent it with sprigs of fresh herbs like rosemary.
- Oily skin. Soak a cotton ball with witch hazel and wipe off the grease. For major oil leaks, dab on a half an organic lemon, directly and lightly.
- Pimples. Dab on some toothpaste, tea-tree oil, or unfiltered honey to dry the sucker up.
- Puffy Eyes. Put tea bags soaked in icy water on your closed eyelids or slices of cucumber soaked in cold milk. Also, my mom's trick: beaten egg whites on the surrounding skin.
- Sleep-deprived face. Fill a giant pasta bowl with cold water, ice, and lemon juice and plunge your face in it. Brrr!
Get more fashion, beauty and self-esteem advice from Emme!