Recycling Grocery Bags? 10 Ways It CAN Be Done!
We still haven't figured out a method for recycling plastic grocery bags, but there are lots of great and unexpected ways to reuse them.
1. Fill an old tissue box with plastic bags and keep it in the car. The bags make great emergency garbage bags for unexpected messes. If you get caught without an umbrella, you might even consider using one as a hat. (We've done it!)
2. Keep a supply of plastic grocery bags near your dog's leash, and use them as poop-pick-up bags when you go for a walk (You would never just leave the doo-doo in a neighbor's yard, right?). Use them to empty the cat's litter box, too.
3. Use the bags as liners for small trashcans in bathrooms and bedrooms. Explain to the kids that when the bags have handles, there's no excuse for not taking out the trash.
4. Use plastic grocery bags as impromptu packing material. Fill a few bags with air (like a balloon), tie tightly, and place around delicate items for protection. Or just wad them up and jam them in there.
5. Try recycling old magazines or catalogs and plastic bags at the same time! Fill plastic bags with recycled catalog pages or other paper and use as a stuffing to keep purses in shape during storage.
6. Wad up a few bags and stuff them into the toes of your favorite shoes to prevent them from getting crushed in the closet.
7. Use them as makeshift disposable gloves if you have to briefly handle volatile chemicals, use spray paint, or clean up nasty kitchen messes.
8. During snowy winters, put a plastic bag on each of your kids' feet before they put on their boots. The plastic will keep moisture from seeping in, making sure their tootsies stay toasty.
9. If you have a child in diapers, do the right thing and tuck a few grocery bags into your diaper bag to wrap up and seal smelly diapers before you leave them in public trash cans. This is just good mom karma.
10. When you're packing for a trip, wrap toiletries in plastic bags to protect your clothes from spills and leaks. Don't forget a few for the trip home!