Gardening With Kids: Decorate a Creepy, Crawly Watering Can
Decorate a water can with hand crafted critters.
- A plastic watering can — any color.
- Permanent (Gulp!! Scary!) glitter finger paint or glitter glue (it's gotta be permanent or it'll wash off when you're watering which kinda defeats the purpose).
- Plastic bugs
- Craft glue (the kind that bonds to plastic)
- Cover your table with newspaper or paper to protect it (remember ... the paint is permanent!). You might want to use a giant coloring sheet that your kids may have already colored on to protect your table. This way, you won't feel bad that they waste entire sheets by drawing one blue line down the middle, and your table is safe.
- Squirt the glitter paint onto a paper plate.
- Let your kids finger paint with the glitter paint all over the watering cans. This is MESSY. Consider having your kids go topless just so they don't ruin their clothes!
- When your kids are finished smearing, let the cans dry overnight.
- Let your kids glue bugs onto the outside of the can with tacky glue. Let dry overnight again.
- Your kids will have so much fun painting the watering can that they'll be ready to start planting some flowers! Gardening with kids is great when it can be combined with art projects and spring crafts like this one! Your kid will be begging to water the flowers in your home.