Tips for Gardening With Kids
If you love gardening and you're a parent, you may want to try gardening with your kids. Like everything else with kids, gardening with kids is messier! But if you keep these tips in mind, gardening with kids can also be a lot of fun:
- Dress appropriately. Make sure you and your kids wear clothing (and shoes) that can get dirty. You might even designate a pair of shoes as gardening shoes (leave them outside!) since you don't want them tracking soil into your home!
- Involve kids in the process of picking out fun plants to grow.
- Read kids stories involving garden, such as Peter Rabbit or Jack and the Beanstalk. Encourage them to make a book about your garden.
- When gardening with kids, you might want to create a theme: an Alphabet garden or a rainbow garden, for instance.
- Start with easy things that are guaranteed to grow. Kids like instant gratification and they'll be discouraged if their plants wilt. Cucumbers, for instance, are easy to grow. Even better, kids can eat what they grow!
- Give your kids a job to do around the garden like watering plants.
- Plant vegetables that are easy for kids to pick such as sugar snap peas.
- Your kid may want to be responsible for one special plant. He'll be so excited when it grows!