Gardening With Kids: Nurture a Nature Lover
Here are some tips for teaching kids about nature:
- Follow their lead. If they're interested in bugs, let them go on a "bug hunt." If your kids like flowers, teach them about gardening.
- Make nature a part of your home. Make art projects with leaves or a mobile out of sticks and rocks.
- Read books about kids and nature or gardening with kids. Reading about other kids who love nature could inspire your kids to get into the great outdoors!
- Teach kids to respect nature, but try not to make too many rules. When gardening with kids, for instance, focus on all of the things they can do, not on the things they're not allowed to do.
- Give kids responsibility for part of the garden or a particular plant. That will give them a pride of ownership and help to forge a stronger connection with nature.
- Take out a magnifying glass to study bugs or watch the birds with binoculars.