Organizing your home when living in a small apartment (with a kid!) is extra challenging, but it is possible. Here are some tips:
- You can create a very compact and efficient landing/launching pad in the main entryway of your home that holds everything you need for the day, all prepped and waiting by the front door at all times. This makes leaving (and coming home) every day smooth and quick—minimizing the running around and searching for last-minute items.
- Take advantage of vertical space in your home (hopefully, you have high ceilings)! Try hanging one or two rows of hooks on the wall for coats, backpacks and totes on the wall. Beneath the hooks, on the floor, place a small bench with cubbies. This can hold shoes, errand totes (filled with dry cleaning, or books to return to the library).
- Make sure your kid has good toy storage. Label everything so he knows where the Lego pieces go when he's done playing.
- Organizing your home is a lot easier with stackable plastic bins. They fit almost anywhere in a playroom or bedroom and allow you to expand you kid's growing toy collections.
- A collapsible, colorful laundry basket is perfect for sports gear, such as bats, balls, protective pads and skateboards.
- Try to set aside one area that's dedicated to kid stuff. Organizing your home is impossible if you've got stuffed animals and building blocks all over the place!