Day Into Evening Hairstyles
For busy moms, anything we can do to cut our primping time is a good thing. So next time you've got a date night (which is going to be a regular thing with your partner, right?) but you know you're going to be running ragged all day long, don't sweat it. You can prep your hair ahead of time, by trying these day-to-evening hair tips courtesy of my friend and hair expert, Kevin Mancuso.
First, plan in the morning as to what your evening look will be: Are you going curly or straight? Up or down? Pinned back or all loose? Regardless, your hair will hold the style longer if your texture is set from the start of your day, rather than the moments before you head out. Here's how to do it, based on your hair type:
Prepping fine hair:
- For lasting volume, use a volume spray concentrating mainly on the roots.
- Blow-dry with a smaller than usual round brush (your hair should be able to wrap around the brush at least two times).
- Using a blow-dryer, smooth hair onto the brush when hair is almost dry.
- Roll it down the scalp, heat it up thoroughly, and then switch to cool.
- Cool it down entirely and use a clip to hold it in place. This will give it more strength and holding power.
- When you're finished, brush it and go on with your day!
Then, in the evening, let your hair down. It will be fuller, bouncier and pliable enough, whether you wear it up or down.
Prepping curly hair:
- For naturally curly hair, it's best to air dry. Don't touch it too much while it's drying.
- Start to air dry with an application of leave-in conditioner or styling products. There are many types of curly hair and many products to choose from. So remember to check those product labels and use the best combo for your hair type. Sometimes, using a straightening gel that's designed to blow out the curl can actually be useful to leave in curly hair.
- Let it dry naturally or twist loosely into a bun. Let it dry, and when you take it down it will be looser, softer curl.
- Start with a good blow-out in the morning. I like to use styling spray with a little straightening gel on the ends. The styling spray has hold so your blow-dry will last longer and the straightening gel will make hair easier to glide through with your brush.
- In the evening, you can quickly go over the hair with a ceramic flat iron for a super-straight, glossy-finished look.
Get more fashion, beauty and self-esteem advice from Emme!