6 Ways to Keep Your Makeup Safe
In addition to tossing any beauty products past their expiration date, there are more ways you can keep your makeup fresh and your face safe.
My tips for keeping your cosmetics clear of danger:
- Seal it. Make sure your products are closed properly and out of sunlight to protect the preservatives that keep the products fresh.
- Smell it. If your makeup smells funny, it'll probably do something not-so-funny to your face. An odor is usually a sign of bacteria so through those products out like last year's trend.
- Study it. If the color or texture of the product has changed, don't take any chances-toss it.
- Save it. If you have an eye infection, don't use your eye products. Otherwise, you'll be at risk for getting the infection again and again. Also, avoid sharing eye products with people. Bacteria from someone else's makeup will transfer to your face, too.
- Safeguard it. Don't add water (or saliva) to makeup because it breaks down the preservatives and allows bacteria to grow.
Knowing where to store your makeup and when to toss it is a lot like taking care of groceries—you have to pay attention to expiration dates, weird smells and any discoloration before you apply it to your face. Think of it this way: You wouldn't knowingly give your family salmonella from bad food, so why not treat your face the same way? Stay fresh, stay safe!
A note about shopping for makeup: Sample it (properly). Try not to sample makeup at stores unless the sample you're given is unused. If you can't resist the temptation to try and apply, make sure they give you a clean disposable applicator like a cotton swab.
Get more fashion, beauty and self-esteem advice from Emme!