Know Your Skin Type
Among the many lessons I've learned is that yellow-tinted base and concealer fixes my ruddy complexion. If I wear heavy powder, especially under the eyes, it looks like crepe on me. To know what makeup works best on you, you should know not just your skin tone but also your skin type.
The five major skin types are:
- Normal. Your skin tone is even, smooth, and firm with small- to medium-size pores.
Skin solution: Stick to light moisturizing foundation and use a mix of cream and powder blushes and eye shadows.
- Oily. Your skin is shiny with larger more visible pores and you're prone to blackheads, whiteheads and pimples.
Skin solution: Stay away from oil-based cosmetics and stick to powders instead.
- Dry. Your skin is dull and flakey with small pores, and sensitive to temperature.
Skin solution: Apply moisturizer and primer before using powder cosmetics, or use cream-based cosmetics.
- Combination. Your skin has oily areas usually across the forehead, nose, and chin with dry areas on the cheeks, and around the eyes and neck. You're more prone to acne in the oily areas only.
Skin solution: Use oil-free foundation on the oily areas and a moisturizing foundation for the dry areas. Cream-to-powder foundations and eye shadows also work well.
- Sensitive. Your skin burns easily when exposed to the sun, feels temperature changes easily, and more prone to break out in rashes from cosmetics.
Skin solution: Use mineral foundations and cosmetics (pure and natural) that allow skin to breathe.
Get more fashion, beauty and self-esteem advice from Emme!