Makeup Trends and Moms
Now that we're moms, makeup can take on a whole different meaning. Not only do we not have enough time to put on our face as we once did in our single, child-free, carefree days, but we might not even have the same motivation. (Why bother with eyeliner for a trip to the grocery store?) But I've learned that true beauty is about appreciating what you have and who you are.
So the next time you're flipping through fashion magazines and they tell you what the hot new makeup trend of this hot minute is, weigh it against your own mommy priorities. Meanwhile, I have some quick pointers of mommy makeup dos and don'ts.
- DO use concealer. As I said before, it's a girl's best friend, even if you're young. Dark circles, blemishes all can be covered up in the blink of an eye.
- DO use shimmer sparingly. Choose only one area of the face to shimmerize—cheeks, browbone, eyelid or lip. Too much sparkly stuff can make you look like Tinkerbell, and glitter is for tweens (and kiddie art projects!)
- DO go au naturel. No, I'm not saying completely bare-faced, but using neutral tones and simple glosses often get the job done beautifully.
- DON'T go dark and heavy. Especially black liner on your lower lids or even your lips.
- DON'T go too pink or too red. (Or too blue or too purple, or too green for that matter.) In trying to get "dolled" up, you may end up looking like a Cupie doll in the process! Some pinks are too bubblegummy; some reds too ruddy, and the other colors? Well, are just too, too. Better for mommies stay in the neutral zone.
Final words: Basically, makeup trends are made for the runway, not the driveway. When it comes to your face, only embrace makeup trends that work for you. Besides, the most important factor? Making kissy-face time with your kids a lot more enjoyable!
Get more fashion, beauty and self-esteem advice from Emme!