Roasted Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew
Make a big pot and freeze it for multiple meals. You'll be glad you did when your Mini is fussy and you can't bear to cook or order in (again) from Kung Chow Palace.
- 1 whole roasted chicken (from supermarket deli), skin removed
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (optional)
- 1 lb peeled baby carrots
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1 yellow onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 lb yellow summer squash, cut in small chunks
- 1 lb frozen white corn
- 1 lb frozen French-cut green beans
- Remove chicken from bones, tear meat into small pieces and refrigerate.
- Place chicken bones, oregano and chipotle pepper in large pot and cover with water.
- Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes; remove bones from broth.
- Add carrots, sweet potatoes and onion; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add summer squash; simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Add frozen corn and green beans and bring to boil. Lower heat and add shredded chicken; simmer for a final 5 minutes.
- Add water at any point while cooking to keep contents of pot just barely covered with broth.
- Serve with whole wheat/multigrain bread or over cooked brown rice.