Is Your Pregnancy Backache Sciatica?
Here are some ways to relieve pregnancy backache caused by sciatica:
- Heat or cold. Some doctors recommend alternating applying hot and cold packs to your sciatica for up to 20 minutes each. Heat loosens the muscles; cold alleviates inflammation.
- Chiropractic. Chiropractic treatment may also alleviate your pregnancy-related sciatica. Through gentle manipulation, a good chiropractor can help relieve your sciatic pain and improve your mobility. Ask your doctor if this might be a solution to your pregnancy backache.
- Acupuncture. Acupuncture works on trigger points to help alleviate pain. Just be sure to check with your doctor to see whether acupuncture is right for you, as it's not appropriate for some high-risk pregnancies. Also, make sure your acupuncturist is appropriately certified.
- Myofascial release. Myofascial release is the gentle pulling and manipulation of your connective tissue to loosen your body and relieve pain. Make sure you find a specialist who has dealt with pregnant women before.
- Pain relievers. Though most pain medications are not recommended for use even for pregnancy backache, your doctor may allow you to take acetaminophen. Ibuprofen, on the other hand, though an effective anti-inflammatory, is generally considered unsafe during the third trimester. Chat with your doc before taking anything during your pregnancy—even over-the-counter medications.