VBAC or C-Section???
I had an emergency c-section with my first son, who is now 4 1/2, due to a drop in his heart rate. Now with my second son, who is due November 17, I have a choice. The doctor is reccomending a c-section because he says it will be a safer delivery for me but said it's completely my choice. I just hate the idea of choosing my child's birth date. I want the whole element of surprise, but I also want us both to be safe. I'm going to be delivering at a hospital so I feel if, God forbid, anything goes wrong we will be ok. I don't know what to do and I only have about 7-8 weeks to decide!!!
With my son, Ashley, I was in labor for about 45 loooooong hours at the age of only 19. It was a horrific experience. I never imagined anything could be that painful. It was also terribly frightening because the doctor was very young and didn't know what he was doing and actually had to call in a more experienced doctor to help me. Then when he was finally getting around to actually pop out, he got stuck and the doctor almost had to break his colorbone and/or arm to get him out. Thankfully he didn't have to. Now that that's said, the experience was scary, but it was natural and my son's three and a perfectly healthy little boy. Now I'm expecting identical twins and the doctor originally gave me a choice, but as things progressed he began strongly encouraging a c-section especially because of my difficult labor with my first child, but also my smaller body structure and the way the girls were positioned he doesn't want to endanger any of us so I am having a c-section (in two days actually, haha). The choice is all your's and since the doctor is encouraging a c-section I might listen to him, but I understand you wanting to be suprised. I don't feel too bad about about setting the twins' birthday or knowing when they're going to come, but it's all about what you're comfortable with.
I had a C-section with my first son due to my labor not progressing (as in never even dilated to 1 cm) I was also given the choice this time around. I REALLY wanted the surprise and the thought of picking a date seemed funny to me, and very lame and boring, especially if you find out what we're having (which we weren't but we accidentally did in an ultrasound, talk about no element of surprise at all!) However when the doc asked if I wanted to try for a VBAC I didn't even let her finish her sentence I said NOPE where's the waiver I sign to go with a C-section! I have no desire to lay around miserable on pitocin again for 3 days waiting for my kid to do something. That and the recovery for me was nothing, I was out in 2 days, completely off pain meds, and as a bonus I don't lose any tread on my tires so to speak
Thank you all for the feedback! I really appreciate it! Momkey you asked if I would regret not trying a VBAC and my answer is nope! Lol! Either way it's going to hurt a ton! I like the whole idea of baby coming when he's ready but I like the c-section cause I won't have to push it out! I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get to be put to sleep this time like I was last time which is a bummer! But hey, whatever will be safer for him is good with me! I'm gonna do some research and then decide!! Thanks again!!!
I am not going to tell you what I would choose. You should research and make an informed desision. Either way has its risks. Do what makes you comfortable.
If it were me, and my dr was OK with it, I would try for a VBAC. It's such a personal decision though; I'd research the risks and benefits of both options and then decide. Good luck!
Myself, I would take the C-section, the thought of trying to push a baby out terrifies me now that my daughter was born by C-section! Scheduled C-sections are easier to recover from than emergency C-sections! But, if you want to try VBAC, then go for it! It gets harder to get a VBAC after multiple C-sections! So right now you have a choice, but if you have a C-section and then get pregnant again you may not have that choice! Will you regret not trying the VBAC if you decided to get the C-section? If your answer to this is yes, then maybe you should try the VBAC!